Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.4 using patches
To: None <cjep@fawlty.net, ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
From: Ian P. Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/02/2001 18:52:24
> From cjep@fawlty.net Sun Dec  2 17:57:08 2001
> Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 22:21:56 +0000
> From: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
> To: "Ian P. Thomas" <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
> Cc: cjep@fawlty.net, netbsd-users@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.4 using patches
>
> On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 04:57:57PM -0500, Ian P. Thomas wrote:
> > 	I went ahead and did a make build after applying the patch and
> > everything went perfectly.  I then went and recompiled my kernel using the
> > new sources.  After a reboot, everything seems fine.  dmesg says I'm now
> > running NetBSD 1.4.1.
> > 	I noticed an option in the makefile called UPDATE.  In
> > /usr/share/mk/bsd.README it says that with this option, only recently
> > modified targets will be installed.  This sounds like it could cut down on
> > the make build time.  Does anyone have any experience with this option?
> > I'm going ahead with the next patch to 1.4.2.  I'll post more if I run into
> > an error, otherwise, I think I'll be able to get to 1.4.3 from here.
>
> I don't think there is any need to go 1.4 -> 1.4.1 -> 1.4.2 -> 1.4.3.
> You can do 1.4 -> 1.4.3 in pretty much one step (egcs is the only
> problem I encountered).
>
> UPDATE will cut down your build time (unless something changes that is a
> dependency for lots of things (I think)).
>
> cheers,
> --
> Chris

	I went ahead and applied the following two patches to get to 1.4.2
before getting this email,

diff-1.4.1-to-1.4.2.gz
lfs-vs-netboot.diff

	I applied them in reverse order of what I have listed.  After applying
the second patch, diff-*, it could not find three files and prompted me for
there names,

src-1.4.1/domestic/usr.bin/kinit/kinit.c
src-1.4.1/domestic/usr.bin/su/Makefile
src-1.4.1/domestic/usr.bin/telnet/externs.h

	I don't have a /usr/src/domestic directory so I'm pretty sure these
patches don't apply to my setup.  I did get the following build error,
though,

yacc ns_parse.y
yacc e -line 0 of "ns_parse.y", unexpected end-of-line

	The file in question is

/usr/src/dist/bind/bin/named/ns_parse.y

	Should I go ahead and apply the 1.4.3 patch and hope it gets rid of
this problem?

	I used a previous respondents instructions and did this last upgrade
step in this order;

apply patch
compile a new kernel and install it
reboot