Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.4 using patches
To: None <cjep@fawlty.net, ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
From: Ian P. Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/02/2001 16:57:57
> From cjep@fawlty.net Sun Dec  2 16:08:00 2001
> Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 20:28:50 +0000
> From: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
> To: "Ian P. Thomas" <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
> Cc: cjep@fawlty.net, netbsd-users@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.4 using patches
>
> On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 03:13:15PM -0500, Ian P. Thomas wrote:
> > message stating the following:
> >
> > egcs-1.1.2 is not available for NetBSD-1.4-i386
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean from pkgsrc. I meant from the 1.4.3 sources (my
> first e-mail wasn't very clear). Once you've got the 1.4.3 sources,
> build and install egcs from <source directory>/gnu/usr.bin/egcs by doing
> a make dependall and a make install. Then a make build should work with
> no problems.
>
> best wishes, C.

	I went ahead and did a make build after applying the patch and
everything went perfectly.  I then went and recompiled my kernel using the
new sources.  After a reboot, everything seems fine.  dmesg says I'm now
running NetBSD 1.4.1.
	I noticed an option in the makefile called UPDATE.  In
/usr/share/mk/bsd.README it says that with this option, only recently
modified targets will be installed.  This sounds like it could cut down on
the make build time.  Does anyone have any experience with this option?
I'm going ahead with the next patch to 1.4.2.  I'll post more if I run into
an error, otherwise, I think I'll be able to get to 1.4.3 from here.

Ian