Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.4 using patches
To: None <cjep@fawlty.net, ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
From: Ian P. Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/02/2001 15:13:15
> From cjep@fawlty.net Sun Dec  2 14:51:51 2001
> Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 19:56:54 +0000
> From: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
> To: Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
> Cc: netbsd-users@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.4 using patches
>
> On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 03:06:20AM -0500, Ian Patrick Thomas wrote:
> > 	I have installed all the source packages and have also went and downloaded the changelogs
> > from 1.4-1.4.1 1.4.1-1.4.2 and 1.4.2-1.4.3.  I have diff files that appear to be what I need to
> > upgrade to 1.4.3.  I have tried applying the 1.4-1.4.1 patch in /usr/src and it bails.  I would
> > give more info, but I'm writing this from my GNU/Linux partition.  Is there some documentation on
> > how to upgrade piecemeal?  I've done FreeBSD upgrades using CVSup, does NetBSD do something
> > similar?  I'd really like to get up to 1.4.3 for a few reasons, the most important being the bug
> > fixes.  Also I'm not able to install the Mutt package in 1.4.  I'll copy down the make errors and
> > post them in a seperate message.  I was hoping the upgrade to 1.4.3 would fix the problem.
>
> Ian,
>
> Just one caveat I can think of if you are going from 1.4 to 1.4.3 using
> source code. You might need to build and install "egcs" first.
> Otherwise you will get some compiler warnings with a few software packages.
>
> Alternatively, you could do a binary upgrade.
>
> best wishes,
> --
> Chris

	I tried to install the egcs package from src, but it gave me an error
message stating the following:

egcs-1.1.2 is not available for NetBSD-1.4-i386

	I was able to successfully install the patch in /usr/src doing the
following,

cd /usr/src
gunzip diff-1.4-to-1.4.1.gz
patch -p1 < diff-1.4-to-1.4.1.gz

	After checking out the Makefile in /usr/src, I think the next thing I
need to do is

make build

	in /usr/src.  I would think that after this is done I should recompile
my kernel using the new sources, correct?  After which I should reboot and
see if everything is o.k.  I'm not sure if I need to do a make install
also.  My guess is that once the sources are rebuilt for 1.4.1, I won't get
the egcs error message and I'll then be able to upgrade the rest of the
way.

Thanks to all who helped so far.

Ian