Subject: FFS in inconsistent state, fsck didn't complain
To: None <NetBSD-users@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/31/2001 18:45:05
So, I managed to get one of my FFS partitions into a bit
inconsistent state. Actually, I ended up with one badly
damaged file in my CVS repositry (thank God I had backed up
only yesterday)... but I thought this kind of thing shouldn't
actually happen, or at least fsck would bail out.

What I did was accidentally reset (should disconnect the switch)
my computer slightly after a CVS commit. The box booted up,
and fsck finished succesfully. After doing some more stuff
with CVS, I found that one of the files in the repositry was
damaged.

I proceeded to examine the file, and found that it started
up as it should, and after the actual end of the content the
file should've had, parts of another file were catenated, and
after that there was something which looked like shell code
I certainly don't have anywhere in the repositry, and then
some random data.

This is (still) 1.5, plain FFS (sync, no softdeps).

--
Arto Huusko (arto.huusko@utu.fi) | Diving Is Fun
Divecalc @ http://divecalc.cjb.net