Subject: Re: booting the second disk via a floppy
To: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/25/2001 00:43:54
Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com> writes:
> Because my BIOS doesn't seem to like the NetBSD disk (wd1 on an old
> 486), I need to boot via a floppy.  If I use the install floppy and
> interrupt the boot process, I can say
>
> 	boot wd1a:netbsd
>
> and all is cool.  But I'd rather the machine be able to boot unassisted.

My recommendation is to build new bootblocks. The bootblock mechanism
isn't very hard to deal with.

/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/biosboot/main.c could be easily
hacked to do what you want. All you have to do is change the names[]
array to specify what you want to boot, i.e. wd1a:netbsd, instead of
the existing default.

Then put that boot block on the floppy and it will boot that by
default instead.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com