Subject: Lots of conflicts while updating src
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jim Breton <jamesb-netbsd@alongtheway.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/25/2001 02:34:25
OK now that I've got the cvs/ssh source updates working, I am seeing
some disturbing results from CVS.

A large number of the files are skipped or updated as appropriate;
however, I also have _tons_ of these messages (hundreds at least):

cvs update: move away src/usr.bin/banner/Makefile; it is in the way
C src/usr.bin/banner/Makefile
cvs update: move away src/usr.bin/banner/banner.1; it is in the way
C src/usr.bin/banner/banner.1
cvs update: move away src/usr.bin/banner/banner.c; it is in the way
C src/usr.bin/banner/banner.c

The cvs man page says that those are Conflicts, and that the old file
will be renamed and the new one put in its place.  That would be fine.

But what I am seeing is that the date and time on those files are not
recent; so, it appears as though it is leaving the old file in place.

I would hate to rebuild the system with a bestial mix of old and new
code; I would also hate to have to repeat the src update 50 times until
I figure out what the problem is, as I am on a dialup. :((

Is the above normal, or should I really go in there and move every
single one of those files (a huge chore)?  And if so, why tf didn't cvs
deal with this as advertised in the man page?