Subject: cdparanoia not paranoid
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan R. Hinds <jon@fork.yi.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/19/2001 12:22:50
I was very happy to see that someone had hacked cdparanoia to work in
NetBSD. However, after going though about 10-12 CD's I have determined
that it is not actually doing any jitter correction or any of the other
paranoid things that it is supposed to be doing. ie. Every rip results in
the following:

 (== PROGRESS == [                              | 095454 00 ] == :^D * ==)

even if I _KNOW_ that the cd is scratched to hell. And of course the
resulting WAV file is full of clicks and pops. Has any one else noticed
this also?

Here is the command with the options I am running:

cdparanoia -B -v -g /dev/rcd0d -- "1"

and here is some dmesg output:

ahc0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0
ahc0: interrupting at irq 10
ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
scsibus0 at ahc0 channel 0: 16 targets, 8 luns per target
ahc0: target 4 using 8bit transfers
ahc0: target 4 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset = 0x8
cd0 at scsibus0 target 4 lun 0: <PLEXTOR, CD-R   PX-W124TS, 1.07> SCSI2
5/cdrom removable

Thanks for any help you guys can give,

--jon