Subject: Re: chroot jail for ftpd
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/19/2001 12:12:26
On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> In message , Simon Burge writes:
> >
> >mount -o nodev ... ?
>
> I'll have to think hard about the interactions here -- it would be some
> sort of loopback mount, which means that the special devices would be
> recognized under one name, but not under the other.  I *think* it
> works, but I want to mull it some more.  Thanks.

Um...does the ftp upload directory have to be on your root partition? This
seems to me a bad idea anyway, since that would allow users to fill up
your root, which is never terribly pleasant.

Or is there some reason you need devices on a non-root partition? I mount
all of my partitions except / with nodev, and have been doing this for
years without problems. (I also mount all but / and /usr with nosuid,
though this has earned me the odd complaint from time to time.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org