Subject: exmh and postfix
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/16/2001 15:48:24
Hello,

I experience the following problem when using exmh (or xmh within emacs)
together with a normal postfix setup:

At seemingly random instances messages are not delivered, with one of
the following error-messages:

 problem initializing server; [BHST] read from socket timed out
 problem initializing server; [BHST] read from pipe timed out
 initializing server; [BHST] unable to fork

Following what I found on groups.google.com, google.com and the
dcumentation/faq, nmh _was_ configured to use sendmail rather than smtp,
and trying to re-create the problem has been to no avail.  Even trying
to debug using "comp" and "send -snoop" does not reveal anything, as the
problems only occur on very random instances.

This problem seems to be connected to the problem that another user
reported using pine:  on seemingly random instances pine takes >60s to
send the message;  enabling "enable-background-sending" in
~/.pinerc did not help either.  I suspected a DNS problem, but the
problem has been reported to occur even when sending over the local
network, as well as twice in a row to the same address.

The interval with which the problem occurs seems to vary: sometimes it
doesn't occur for days, sometimes it happens several times in a row.

For any input on this matter I'd be very thankful,

-Jan

--
http://www.netmeister.org
http://guinness.cs.stevens-tech.edu/~jschauma/