Subject: YA VMware question
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Patterson <mpatters@uwaterloo.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/16/2001 12:10:38
Howdy,

I've been watching this list for a month or so now (since I installed my
first NetBSD system) and I've been struggling ever since to get VMWare
going.  I had a look through the archives and found a few fixes to some of
my problems, but nobody seems to have asked about the one I can't fix:
as soon as I power on a vmware machine, vmware coredumps.  Looking at the
vmware logs tells me nothing; I've tried it with various vmware configs, so
I don't think it's related to OS I've been telling vmware to expect me to
run - Win98, DOS, and FreeBSD selections all cause identical results.

Background information: I have a NetBSD 1.5.1 system, running XF86 4 that I
compiled from the source package.  Hardware is a P3 CPU with an ATI Rage128
video card (I include that because I found out the hard way that XFree86 3
doesn't like it one little bit).  I installed the vmware-module & other
required dependencies; I have a single user educational license.  VMWare ran
fine with that license for me on various linux boxes.

Examining vmware's log file shows this:

Oct 16 11:38:13: XINFO Unsupported XF86VidMode version: 2.0
Oct 16 11:38:13: XINFO XFree86 VidMode 0: 1600x1200 flags: 0x5
Oct 16 11:38:13: XInfoDGA2SetMode: mode 7
Oct 16 11:38:13: XInfoDGA2SetMode: image (1600, 1200)
Oct 16 11:38:13: XInfoDGA2SetMode: viewport (1600, 1200)
Oct 16 11:38:13: XInfoDGA2SetMode: origin (0, 0)
Oct 16 11:38:13: Caught signal 11 -- pid 331
Oct 16 11:38:13: Suspending VM...
Oct 16 11:38:13: Dumping core...
Oct 16 11:38:13: Slave IDE1:0 exits
Oct 16 11:38:13: Slave IDE0:0 exits
Oct 16 11:38:13: Slave Floppy exits

What happens is vmware works fine up until the point I click Power On; at
that point, the screen flashes to black (which was normal even on the linux
boxes - I think it's looking for video modes at that point, but ICBW), and
then returns.  VMWare closes, and I'm dumped back to the prompt.  I haven't
had it produce a core file because I'm shaky on debugging them, but I can
likely produce one and send it to anybody who's interested.

I've mounted proc in a couple different ways in case that mattered:
mount_procfs -o linux /proc /proc
mount_procfs -o linux /proc /emul/linux/proc

Either way, vmware works identically.  The modules appear to be loading ok,
so I don't know where to go from here.  (I've tried configurations both with
networking and without, so I doubt that's the problem either.)  I've R'ed
all TFM's I could find to no avail.  Has anybody run into this problem
before (and successfully resolved it)?

TIA,

Mike

--
Mike Patterson - UWaterloo - ODAA - x6986 - mpatters@uwaterloo.ca
I don't speak for UW because I don't like them speaking for me.