Subject: Re: Basic Help
To: Richard Ibbotson <richard@sheflug.co.uk>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/15/2001 12:41:52
On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 11:31:10AM +0000, Richard Ibbotson wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've just installed my first Net BSD machine into some i386 hardware.
>  I'd like to find out what's installed.  Had a look at man pkg_info
> and man pkg_delete.  Nice man pages.
>
> I've tried to do 'pkg_info -a' and  ' pkg_info | more' .  I'd like to
> find out what's installed and which packages I should either add or
> delete.  When I try the above I find that all that happens is that
> the cursor returns to the next # and I don't get any info.
>
> What am I doing wrong here ?  Can someone give me a clue please.
>
> Thank you
>
> --
> Richard

It sounds like you don't have any packages installed. What is meant
by "packages" in NetBSD is 3rd party applications which are not
part of the base system. You can build and install these packages
from source yourself, assuming you have the compiler and text
components installed and a good connection to the Internet, so that
the software can be downloaded - you will need the pkgsrc component
to do this. You can also add pre-compiled packages - these are also
known as binary packages - and there are a number of these, for
different architectures, available on ftp.netbsd.org. Some of the
CD distributors also put some popular binary packages on their CDs,
so you may be able to use that if you installed from a CD.

Hope this helps,
Alistair