Subject: Comparing a backup to the disk contents
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Anders Dinsen <anders@dinsen.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/14/2001 22:38:06
I've had a file system crash where I was able to rescue the file systems,
but now I would like to compare them with the level 0 dumps I have on
tape, noting differences and replacing lost files (of which there were
some).

How can I do that? (Apart form restoring to another disk and comparing
files recursively.)

Wouldn't it be a good idea to add a verify option to restore(8) where it
compares the contents of a backup tape with a file system. I imagine it
could also be useful for doing a security audit:  comparing system
binaries and libraries against a write protected tape every night.

Cheers,
Anders

--
Anders Dinsen