Subject: Re: NetBSD Desktop
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Parson <mparson@bl.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/13/2001 11:26:48
In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0110130909390.29300-100000@dizzy.fork.yi.org>, you write:
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>
> > it depends how you define nice. for me nice is easy/fast to use keyboard
> > based without anything taking up my display space (=100% for apps).
>
> Which is why I use twm. Fast and fairly configurable. Does anyone else use
> twm? Or am I the last of the freaks?

I use it, on my Win2k box at work under Cygwin/XF86 4.1, but that's
cuz I was having problems with the other window managers.  It is
nice and fast, easy to set up quick key-bindings, etc.

FWIW, I have found that KDE (at least, 1.x) was faster than FVWM
1.24r, on the same hardware.

Regarding KDE v GNOME, I've been able to make KDE act like I want
more easily than GNOME.  It took me about 10 minutes of fiddling
to get KDE to my likings, the first time I fired it up.  The only
'feature' that I've found lacking is the display of window-geometry
when moving and resizing windows.  I used this feature a lot when
I use fvwm-1.24r.  I have noticed that GNOME has this, but that
one feature is not enough to make me switch.

Window managers, especially the whole KDE/GNOME thing, is as big
a holy war as Linux/BSD, vi/emacs, Free/Net/OpenBSD, SysV/BSD,
GNU/rest of the world, etc. =)

I try to stay out of the holy wars, except to avoid MS products,
when possible, but most everyone on this list can agree with that
one ;-)

Best answer, try them both, try some others, see what fits your
liking.

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org