Subject: Re: SCSI tape drives and changers
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: Grant Beattie <grant@grunta.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/10/2001 10:22:56
On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 07:27:19PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > Exept I want a reliable backup drive. I'm not interested in writing tapes
> > I can't read 6 months laters.
>
> you mean DAT is unreliable?
> never observed this (except when reading DDS-1 tape on wangDAT which was
> written on DDS-2 HP drive, there were few correctable errors)

DLT technology hasn't exactly proven to be particularly reliable
either, given the questionable means used to extend the capacity and
release larger capacity drives.

Now, if only I could run NetBSD instead of Solaris for our backup
unit, Exabyte mammoth changer. :)

> but it's important for DAT drives to use cleaning tape every 20-30 hours
> of work.

We've had two DLT 7k drives replaced 10+ times, and they are cleaned
twice daily. Not a single hiccup with the EXB stuff.

g.