Subject: NetBSD - consistent use of: UFS, FFS, 4.2BSD
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@burghcom.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/07/2001 04:54:09
disklabel(5) defines the follwing file system types:

     #ifdef  FSTYPENAMES
     static const char *const fstypenames[] = {
             "unused",
             "swap",
             "Version 6",
             "Version 7",
             "System V",
             "4.1BSD",
             "Eighth Edition",
             "4.2BSD",
             "MSDOS",
             "4.4LFS",
             "unknown",
             "HPFS",
             "ISO9660",
             "boot",
             "ADOS",
             "HFS",
             "FILECORE",
             "Linux Ext2",
             "NTFS",
             "RAID",
             "ccd",
             NULL
     };

A generic BSD file system is reffered to as "4.2BSD", yet we mount it with
mount_ffs.  MOUNT_FFS(8) has notes regarding the replacement of mount_ufs
with mount_ffs as a matter of policy.  The generic kernel (in my case,
sparc), comments the line as:

file-system     FFS                # Berkeley Fast Filesystem

And there are still quite a references to "UFS" over "FFS" in the kernel
sources.

It just seems a bit insonsistent.  It would seem to make sence that I
could enter in "FFS" or "FS_FFS" for FSTYPE in disklabel. Perhaps during a
major revision release this could be audited out?

--Brian

 ----

"GNU/Linux: About as stable as the elements at the bottom of the periodic
table"