Subject: Re: Help with NetBSD auvia driver ...
To: None <mjch@earth.monash.edu.au>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/05/2001 14:19:52
On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
> I have been able to get 22kHz 8bit sound out of it ... perhaps that's
> all it supports ... where could I find out this information? (if I can
> work that out I might be able to work out a better re-sampling strategy)

I don't know about that, but from what the driver says, the fixed rate
is 48kHz. You should be able to get 16bit sound out of it...

> OK, so I might be able to get mpg123 to output at different rates and
> see how I go - the default behaviour under Linux is for mpg123 to
> attempt to open the device with different parameters ... it opens the
> device for 44.1kHz 16bit and so on down the line to get 22kHz 8bit
> eventually ... why wouldn't this mechanism work under netbsd? If I'm
> seeing 'device not configured' though it probably indicates that it
> probably isn't going to work whatever sample rate I try ... is that
> correct?

Right, with the driver that's in NetBSD 1.5.x, you're not going to get
any sound out of that chip. You could either switch to a -curreent
kernel, or if you're handy with diff/patch, go to
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/syssrc/sys/dev/pci/auvia.c and apply
the patches that look appropriate. Looks like the main thing you'd want
is the diff between revisions 1.6 and 1.7.
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 25 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++