Subject: Re: Help with NetBSD auvia driver ...
To: None <mjch@earth.monash.edu.au>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/05/2001 16:22:32
On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 12:51:19AM -0500, Dave Huang wrote:
|On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
|> |auvia0 at pci0 dev 7 function 5: VIA VT82C686A AC'97 Audio (rev C)
|> |auvia0: interrupting at irq 12
|> |auvia0: NSN83 codec; 18 bit ADC, 20 bit ADC, Philips Incredible Sound
|> |auvia0: codec must support AC'97 2.0 Variable Rate Audio
|
|I don't have a system with one of these chips myself, but there's been
|some mailing list discussion about them in the past. That last line is
|actually an error message meaning that the codec you have doesn't
|support variable rate audio, but it must for the driver to function.
|From what I gather, this is a fairly common occurrence with VIA sound
|chips--they only support a fixed sample rate, such as 48kHz and require
|software resampling for any other rates.

hmmm ... no wonder I couldn't get it going under Linux either ...

I have been able to get 22kHz 8bit sound out of it ... perhaps that's
all it supports ... where could I find out this information? (if I can
work that out I might be able to work out a better re-sampling strategy)

|Newer versions of the driver in NetBSD-current will print a warning and
|enable the device anyways, only failing if an attempt is made to set
|the sample rate to anything other than the one sample rate the chip
|supports.

OK, so I might be able to get mpg123 to output at different rates and
see how I go - the default behaviour under Linux is for mpg123 to
attempt to open the device with different parameters ... it opens the
device for 44.1kHz 16bit and so on down the line to get 22kHz 8bit
eventually ... why wouldn't this mechanism work under netbsd? If I'm
seeing 'device not configured' though it probably indicates that it
probably isn't going to work whatever sample rate I try ... is that
correct?

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch@mail.com                                                left blank