Subject: getty exceeded running time, exiting
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/28/2001 17:36:48
I ran into something odd one day, which admittedly was quite frustrating.

I have on one box tty00 configured "on" in /etc/ttys. I was working on one
headless OpenBSD machine and needed to plug the serial cable somewhere.
I had forgotten that tty00 is on in my NetBSD machine, and plugged the
cable there. I turned the other machine on and after a little while
the NetBSD machine's console showed something like

getty: exceeded running time, exiting

I lost all my virtual consoles, and what was worse I could not
ssh/telnet to the box. Or, IIRC, I couldn't telnet... didn't try ssh at
the time. I deemed the thing dead and hit reset.

So, what's up and what happened. In any case, I shouldn't be able to
lock down the machine in that way (the exception being that I fry
the machine when plugging serial cables with power on).

Or could I have done something else?

--
Arto Huusko (arto.huusko@utu.fi) | Diving Is Fun