Subject: Re: WLAN recommendations?
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/20/2001 10:00:47
On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 11:25:08PM +0300, Jukka Marin wrote:
> What kind of cards should I get for better reliability and performance?

Ok, I got a bunch of Lucent Orinoco silver cards.  However, I can't seem to
get one card going on my gateway machine.  I simply removed the Aviator card,
inserted Lucent, renamed /etc/ifconfig.ray0 as /etc/ifconfig.wi0 and
rebooted.  The card is probed and configured, and if I tcpdump -i wi0
I can see packets coming in (like when I use another machine X to ping the
gateway), but if I try to ping the other machine X from gateway, I get
"ping: sendto: No route to host".

The machine X knows gateway's hardware address (arp -an), so the gateway
must be able to receive and transmit packets (otherwise, X woudln't know
the hw address).

The routing table on gateway looks OK - and it worked just fine with the
Aviator cards.  These are the routing table entries for the wireless
network on the gateway:

Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use    Mtu  Interface
a.b.c.176/29       link#14            UC          6        0   1500  wi0
a.b.c.180          00:02:2d:0d:c1:1c  UHLc        0        1   1500  wi0

The cards have been configured into adhoc mode using wiconfig.

I'm running NetBSD 1.5W on all systems.  The other two machines appear to
work OK, but gateway whines about "no route to host".

Any ideas?  Thanks a lot,

  -jm