Subject: RE: Partition table on x86 trashed. Any ideas?
To: Gerald Heinig <Gerald.Heinig@post.rwth-aachen.de>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/08/2001 06:36:15
On 08-Sep-01 Gerald Heinig wrote:
> My question is: how do I resurrect my partition table? If the worst
> really comes to the worst, I can use dd to fish out various disk blocks
> which I know have stuff in them that I need. I haven't actually lost
> very much: only about 5 or 10 files which aren't very big, but there's a
> lot of know-how that's in them and it would really hurt to lose them.

That depends on what you did in solaris.

If you just mangled the partition table.. then you should just be able to
relabel (and possibly fdisk) the disk, and everything should be OK.  If you
newfs'ed it, yer in trouble.

If you know what your partitions were sized (exactly) or wrote it down
anywhere, or backed it up anywhere, you can manually disklabel the disk to
match and it should just work.  If you don't, you need to start tooling around
with dd looking for Kirk's birthday.
#define FS_MAGIC        0x011954        /* the fast filesystem magic number */

To be quite honest.. it's been a long time since I've done that, and I just
winged it last time, so I really don't recall all the steps.

Hopefully all you lost was the partition table.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
NetBSD supported hardware database: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/hw.cgi