Subject: Re: USB Problems
To: Ian Cooper <ian@WPI.EDU>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@pointless.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/06/2001 17:06:00

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Ian Cooper wrote:

> How can I mount a USB mass-storage device (Toshiba PDR-M5 digital
> camera)?  The kernel messages are as follows:
>
>   umass0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
>   umass0: TOSHIBA  PDR-M, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2
>   umass0: using SCSI over BBB-P
>   scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 luns per target
>   scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
>   sd0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <TOSHIBA, PDR, 1.00> SCSI2 0/direct removable
>   sd0: mode sense (4) returned nonsense; using fictitious geometry
>   sd0: 64000 KB, 62 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 128000 sectors
>
> >From the messages above, it seems that the kernel correctly identifies the
> camera as a usb mass-storage device.  However, when I try to mount the
> device, I get the following messages:
>
>   root:~# mount /dev/sd0d /mnt
>   mount_ffs: /dev/sd0d on /mnt: Input/output error
>
> So I have several questions:
>   * Is 'ffs' the correct filesystem type?

ffs is the native filesystem type for NetBSD (like ext2 for linux)

>   * Is /dev/sd0d the correct device?

maybe, maybe not - what does 'disklabel sd0' say?

>   * Why am I getting an i/o error?

Cos unix has a limited vocabulary of error messages, and a habit of choosing
the least helpful one.

> I have had no problems mounting this on linux, using the 'vfat' filesystem
> type.  Thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Ahhh, you probably want 'mount -t msdos' then. See 'man mount_msdos' for
details.

> PS: Is this the right list to send this to?  Or should I send it to the
> x86-specific list?  Thanks again.

This is fine.

- --
When Ted's fixing your computer at a quarter past one, eat your
Whopper  with cheese in his face. He functions better when he's
slightly dizzy from hunger.
[see: http://sysday.tripod.com/time.htm]           [0x2ECA0975]