Subject: 802.1q - stable?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/31/2001 09:29:23
I recently upgraded a switch to an nice [sic] Cisco 3524, which can do
802.1q.  Now, I've got an older router which only takes 10BT/half-duplex,
and I'd like to replace it.

My thought was to use a smaller NetBSD box as a one armed router, using
802.1q trunk lines between the switch and the NetBSD box (gee -
etherchannel would be nice here ;-)

I wanted to check on the stability and maturity of 802.1q before I started
replacing my old routers, tho.  I know it's a bit new, but have people
been playing with it?  Any gotcha's or quirks to know about?  Or is it
easier to just try it out?

I was planning on using either an epic, tlp or fxp card for this,
probably on a ppro-200 i386.

Thanks!

-
Jon
"The problem is that it was devised by a bunch of hippie anarchists
 who didn't have a strong profit motive." - Unnamed evil person