Subject: Re: MPEG 4 players
To: Jim Breton <jamesb-netbsd@alongtheway.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/26/2001 08:29:56
On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Jim Breton wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 03:00:36AM -0500, Emre Yildirim wrote:
> > looking for something that will let you play DVDs?  I'm not sure if there are
> > any players out there that do that, for unix that is (I could we wrong, maybe
> > freshmeat.net would be a good place to search)
>
> http://www.videolan.org/ works well for me on Linux.  I have not tried
> it on NetBSD. 8-P

I tried vlc-0.2.80 on NetBSD-1.5.1. The dvd module doesn't compile --
it evidently uses linux-only dvd ioctl's. The mpeg module compiles
with the addition of `#include <sys/types.h>' to "common.h", and
everything else compiles with or without gnome and SDL support, if
configure is given the right environment variables (to find the
libraries and headers). It won't play mpegs though -- once I select a
file and open it, "vlc" just sits there until I kill it.

Frederick