Subject: Re: Dammed ads
To: Todd Gruhn's account <tgruhn2@mail.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/24/2001 08:09:06
On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Todd Gruhn's account wrote:

>  UGH! These people keep getting smarter! Is it possible to check my e-mail,

Check your email with what? (Web-based and using Mozilla?)

> eliminate the ads, and keep mozilla running at the same time? If I kill

What ads?

What version of mozilla?

> their adds by clicking on the icon and dragging to "close" the mail.com

I guess I am not familiar enough with Mozilla, but what do you mean by
clicking on the icon and dragging to close mail.com to kill an ad?

> shuts my browser-off!

Sounds like you should trouble-shoot this problem and report the bug to
mozilla so it can be fixed.

> By the same token, couldn't someone run an http cookie through mail.com,
> rm -rf someones server, and make it look like mail.com is the perp?

Cookies are simply stored data. Cookies aren't executed. Cookies don't run
tasks.

Maybe the ads you don't want are coming from some distinct server. Look at
the html source for these pages and figure out where the ads are being
served from. Then use your favorite method to block that server.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/