Subject: Re: MPEG 4 players
To: None <bsieker@freenet.de>
From: Emre Yildirim <emre@vsrc.uab.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/24/2001 03:00:36
> These are both ancient MPEG-1 (as used on Video-CD) players, they
> don't even play MPEG-2 streams (as used on Video-DVD)

Oh, that's weird....I can watch DivX movies with mpegtv though.  Are you
looking for something that will let you play DVDs?  I'm not sure if there are
any players out there that do that, for unix that is (I could we wrong, maybe
freshmeat.net would be a good place to search)

> Now, MPEG4 is a totally different beast altogether, and includes
> several different codecs, most of them used with a Video-for-Windows (aka "AVI")
> format.

xanim plays some AVI files, but probably not the DivX or MPEG-4 kind.  I remember
using it once and it was terrible.

> There is an avi/divx decoder library in the NetBSD pkgsrc, avifile, that uses the
> Windows binary codecs to decode the files. I don't know if there is (yet) a player
> program in pkgsrc.

I believe there is a plugin for XMMS that will let you play AVI & ASF movies.  For some
people it works, but I've never been able to compile it, since it needs all sorts of
fancy,bleeding edge libs that never compile right on my system.

If you do find something though, please drop me an email, since I've been trying to
playDivX stuff on anything other than mac and windows myself :-)