Subject: Re: MPEG 4 players
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/24/2001 09:59:05
On 23.07.01, 22:25:47, Emre Yildirim wrote:

> > Are there any MPEG 4 players that work with NetBSD 1.5.x?
>
> Have you looked around in pkgsrc?  There's mpegtv (mtv) that works
> under linux emulation.  There is also mpeg_play, you should really look
> under /usr/pkgsrc/graphics.

These are both ancient MPEG-1 (as used on Video-CD) players, they
don't even play MPEG-2 streams (as used on Video-DVD)

Now, MPEG4 is a totally different beast altogether, and includes
several different codecs, most of them used with a Video-for-Windows
(aka "AVI") format.

The more common ones include "DivX ;-)" and OpenDivx, as well as a
Microsoft codec whose name I cannot remember.

There is an avi/divx decoder library in the NetBSD pkgsrc, avifile,
that uses the Windows binary codecs to decode the files. I don't know
if there is (yet) a player program in pkgsrc.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Groovy Baby!
		-- Andrew Gillham