Subject: Re: upgrading to 1.5.1 from 1.5
To: Erik Huizing <huizing@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
From: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/12/2001 11:32:05
On 2001.07.12 07:21:52 -0600, Erik Huizing wrote:
> Here's my predicament: my machine's floppy disk drive doesn't work
> anymore, and I don't have a cdrom to boot off of.

I posted a message on how to extract a kernel from the install floppy
images to netbsd-users about three weeks ago. It should help:

----8<----CUT-HERE----8<----
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:40:40 -0700
From: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
Cc: netbsd-users@netbsd.org
Subject: Re: Installing on notebook without a floppy nor CD-ROM?

Ahh... That is just too cool. I didn't quite get it at first, and
had to hunt to piece this together. I'll summarize it here, in case
anybody else is interested:

1. The install kernels are built with a ram-disk image. This image
   is populated with the install's root filesystem. When the kernel
   has booted, it mounts this image as the ram-disk.

   This is done using mdsetimage; take a look in .../distrib/<arch>/...
   for details. I could have done this, but I wanted to avoid building
   a new image, etc.

2. The install floppies are really a tar image spread across multiple
   disks. The first file is the booter, which pieces together the tar
   file fragments, and then extracts the kernel and boots it.

3. So, a simple method is to manually extract the fragments and piece
   together the tar file. This e-mail from Hubert Feyrer detailed
   one solution:

    http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-install/1999/02/23/0002.html

4. Having extracted the kernel, you then use dosboot.com to boot it.
   And presto, you are booting the installation floppy.

A very cool hack.

--
"Source code in files. How quaint." - Kent Beck
"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell." - Aldous Huxley