Subject: Re: ipf counting and rrdtool
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/11/2001 17:54:34
Hello,

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > Since my ISP has recently imposed a 3gb/m limit on my ADSL (with loosely
> > defined 'free' sites) I was considering making a setup to use ipf and
> > rrdtool to keep tabs on my hourly/daily usage.
>
> Don't use rrdtool (or mrtg) -- it cannot keep track of actual
> bulk-transfer usage.  RRDtool only keeps averages, not totals.  I'm not
> an expert in its direct usage, but from what I know you can't even
> coerce it into keeping totals....

RRDtool uses a round-robin-database (as the name tells you), and you can
create more of these being a kind of "interleaved". So you can create one DB
keeping the values per hour of the last month, and another one to keep the
averages or min/max values or so per day of the last year, and maybe even
another one to keep the weekly values over the last 10 years.
I like rrdtool, had it running under NetBSD/vax here a long time to keep
statistics generated by iostat and some scripts around it. So i had the
disk i/o and cpu-load values per second over an hour, per minute over a day,
and per hour over a month or so.

...Michael

--
visit http://www.bsdfans.org/   Home network powered by: NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD
Solaris HP-UX IRIX AIX MUNIX Tru64 Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS