Subject: Re: DEC vt320 terminal problem
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/09/2001 17:07:54
On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 01:23:59PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > I guess this must be an issue with NetBSD-sparc's serial ports, because
> > it seems fine on an Intel machine.
>
> I still haven't tried the UART driver changes that should fix this
> problem, but I suspect they'll help a lot.

Do you have any code yet that I could play with?

> >  It would help a great deal if the
> > shells would issue a simple linefeed/carriage return instead of just
> > running the cursor to EOL and depending on autowrap.
>
> Well, you can turn off all those features....   ;-)
>
> (I.e. you can't eat your cake and have it too in this case -- if you
> want command-line editing in your shell then you'll have to live with it
> behaving more like a full-screen editor than a text application!  ;-)

Well, I think some libraries must do things differently. Certainly
command-line editing works with shells when they issue the LF/CR
combination instead of using autowrap. I perused the sources to tcsh but
ran out of time before I found what I wanted.

But like you said, fixing NetBSD would be better in the long run. I
still haven't had time to test with NetBSD-Intel, only FreeBSD.

> > Also, something I'd not mentioned before is that mc (midnight commander)
> > doesn't work right. The display is all messed up.
>
> That sounds like a termcap problem....

Probably is, but I use the same termcap on Linux and NetBSD, and mc works fine
on Linux.

--
 "There is no such thing as security.  Life is either bold           | | |
 adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"                        | | |