Subject: Re: UPS to use with NetBSD?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/06/2001 17:58:13
[ On , July 6, 2001 at 11:02:50 (-0700), Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: UPS to use with NetBSD?
>
> In California (perhaps the rest of the US???) any place selling
> batteries will accept back the old ones.  They even give you $5 for
> car-sized battery as an incentive to get the old ones back.

Not all the world's quite so environmental crazy/conscious as California.

Here in Ontario places like Canadian Tire will take back your old
battery iff you bought the new one, and iff you have the coupon they
gave you when you bought the new one.

Some junk dealers around here are making it in both directions too as
they charge people for battery drop-off and then they sell the dead ones
back to recyclers!

> On can also just put a bigger (and cheaper) battery in there.  The
> buzzword one wants to look for is "deep discharge".

Yup, that's one of the reasons I like the Best units.

>    180 reserve cranking hours deep discharge: $80  Sears/OSH
>         (95 AHrs battery)

I don't know if that's a sealed unit or not, but there's no way I'm
putting anything but a sealed unit inside my Best UPS!  ;-)

I think the one I did get is a bit better than the original, and it was
less CDN$$$ than the best Best price in US$$$! ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods