Subject: Re: UPS to use with NetBSD?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/06/2001 13:03:39
[ On Friday, July 6, 2001 at 10:05:14 (+0200), Manuel Bouyer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: UPS to use with NetBSD?
>
> Even if it's not supported you can get batteries from electrical stores. These
> are standart, hight intensity batteries (at last it was in my smartUPS 1200 :)

And usually "no-name" batteries are much much cheaper than APC's prices
(I've found batteries locally that range from 25-50% less, and from a
very reliable local retailer too, not even wholesale), with the only
caveat being APC will accept old batteries back for recycling --
otherwise you have to find your own local recycler or if you're lucky
your city has a "hazardous waste" recycling pickup day.

Of course you'll probably void your APC warranty and equipment
protection insurance, especially if you replace batteries in units that
don't have "field replaceable" batteries (eg. my SmartUPS-700).... :-)

Most APC batteries have manufacturer's labels with enough information
for most any retailer/wholesaler to find matching models.  It took me a
bit longer to find the specs for my Best ME1.4K's battery as it had only
a Best label and the Best part number was even obsolete....  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods