Subject: Re: UPS to use with NetBSD?
To: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/05/2001 14:08:57
[ On Thursday, July 5, 2001 at 03:19:01 (-0400), Thomas Mueller wrote: ]
> Subject: UPS to use with NetBSD?
>
> What brand of UPS is preferred to use with NetBSD?  Two leading brands are APC
> and Tripp Lite, I believe there are others.  I will need one with a new computer
> to protect against power surges and avoid interruption due to split-second power
> outages.  Currently I have an APC BackUPS Pro 420, manufactured August 1995,
> which will be woefully inadequate for a new computer.  If I stay with APC, I
> will be eligible for TradeUPS discount.

APC SmartUPS are decent machines, but perhaps over-priced and the base
models have unacceptably low run-times (you need extra battery packs in
almost ever scenario where you run them close to full capacity).  They
have a good warranty (though I don't think I personally know anyone
who's tested it).

I'm very happy with Best Power's (Micro-)FerrUPS units.  They have a
very nice RS-232 interface, even on their older models.  My old (1992)
ME14.KVA will hold at 75% load for over 20 minutes (now that it has a
new battery :-) -- well over twice what any basic APC 1400 will normally
do (though its' four times as big and four times as heavy).

--
							Greg A. Woods