Subject: Re: no buffer space available
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/25/2001 19:47:04
On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 10:23:32AM -0400, Brad Spencer wrote:
>    Why can't it drop data with 'no buffer space' errors while it tries to
>    send what it does currently have in buffers?
>
> That is, more of less, what "no buffer space" means.  The problem is that
> ICMP and UDP generally won't recover those packets.  The original post was
> about name service which tends to lose because of its UDP nature.

The problem that I saw (which I mention above) is that the link would
NEVER recover without being bounced. The buffers fill up and then
NEVER drain. Nothing could get through, not even TCP. Nothing. That's
the problem.

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper