Subject: Re: DEC vt320 terminal problem
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/19/2001 08:17:14
On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 10:41:27PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 03:54:41PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > I think there may be some inadvertent interaction with flow control and
> > the shell continually switching the tty setting.
>
> I tried using rtscts hardware flow control, but it's not totally clear
> to me that the terminal supports it. It didn't give errors, but it seems
> that either shells turn this off, or the setting has no effect.

You know, I don't think I ever got hardware flow control working right
on my vt220 either. I think I ended up going 9600bps with jump scrolling.
It was ... ok, I guess.

I don't remember if I had it working on my old vt420 but I suspect I didn't
get it right. OTOH, my vt510's hardware flow control is a thing of beauty.
It runs at 38400bps and never drops a character. Those power surges that
took out my (in order) vt420 and vt220 might have been the best thing to
ever happen to me terminal-wise.

> I would like to have a terminal that could handle 38400. This thing cost
> me $25 7 year ago. Cost of ownership is pretty good so far... :)

Heh. My vt510 cost $7. Plus $20 to ship. Plus a couple more bucks because
the keyboard I have with it I bought at a thrift store uptown (the guy
had it hooked to a PC. Guess what? That doesn't work I bet.)

--
"A method for inducing cats to exercise consists of directing a beam of
invisible light produced by a hand-held laser apparatus onto the floor ...