Subject: DEC vt320 terminal problem
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/16/2001 01:11:59
What would cause a DEC vt320 terminal to work fine for application
programs, but get linefeeds wrong with shells, and the occasional
garbage character?

I can telnet from NetBSD to another machine and the terminal starts
behaving fine.  telnet again back to NetBSD and it's screwed up again.

stty is unable to change options like onocr to try and fix the
problem with linefeeds in the shells.

It seems like a problem with no carriage returns in column 0 or
something else but I'm unable to change things.

I've not touched gettytab, and ttys is using an entry of:

console "/usr/libexec/getty std.19200"  vt320   on secure rtscts local

This is NetBSD-sparc, 1.5.

I should know this, but I've used this terminal for years (it's a 1989
model) and the last time this happened was so long ago I can't remember
what might be wrong (or even which OS).

stty report:

speed 19200 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoke -echonl
        -echoctl -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin
        -nokerninfo -extproc
iflags: -istrip -icrnl -inlcr -igncr -ixon -ixoff -ixany -imaxbel -ignbrk
        -brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
oflags: -opost onlcr -ocrnl oxtabs onocr onlret
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl clocal -cstopb -crtscts -mdmbuf
        -cdtrcts
discard dsusp   eof     eol     eol2    erase   intr    kill    lnext
^O      ^Y      ^D      <undef> <undef> ^?      ^C      ^U      ^V
min     quit    reprint start   status  stop    susp    time    werase
1       ^\      ^R      ^Q      ^T      ^S      ^Z      0       ^W

If anyone else is using their vt320 with NetBSD and everything works,
I'd appreciate seeing your settings.

Ideas and experiments welcome.  I can't believe this isn't a FAQ
somewhere.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com