Subject: Re: serial synchronous asynchronous converter
To: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/11/2001 15:44:03
[ On Monday, June 11, 2001 at 10:20:41 (-0500), John Maier wrote: ]
> Subject: serial synchronous asynchronous converter
>
> Does anyone know of a synchronous to asynchronous (and vise versa) converter?

If you're only planning to move IP packets across the link then a pair
of routers with sync and async ports would suffice as "converters".

> I would will eventually rip out the MUX and go PPP over the link and have the
> remote telnet in, but they are running HPUX 10.01(!!!) which doesn't support IP
> aliasing, at least not with different subnet/domains.
>
> Here is a simple, what I want to do, diagram...
>
>      Sync            Async       Radio Signal       Async            Sync
> [MUX]<-->[sync/async]<--->[modem]<==========>[modem]<--->[sync/async]<-->[MUX]

You don't say what sync protocols you need to handle, but Patton
Electronics make several sync/async converters, one of which might suit
your needs (such as their Model 2010, 2011, 2020, or 2021).

See www.patton.com

--
							Greg A. Woods