Subject: serial synchronous asynchronous converter
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/11/2001 10:20:41
This really kind of off subject but...

I have to serial port MUXs that talk RS232 synchronous to each other.  The
problems is they want to move from a dedicated land line to a radio data system,
but the radio modems only support asynchronous.

Does anyone know of a synchronous to asynchronous (and vise versa) converter?

I would will eventually rip out the MUX and go PPP over the link and have the
remote telnet in, but they are running HPUX 10.01(!!!) which doesn't support IP
aliasing, at least not with different subnet/domains.

Here is a simple, what I want to do, diagram...

     Sync            Async       Radio Signal       Async            Sync
[MUX]<-->[sync/async]<--->[modem]<==========>[modem]<--->[sync/async]<-->[MUX]

Thanks for any recomendations....

John Maier - Administrator
Midamerica Internet Services