Subject: Re: ctrl+alt+del
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/10/2001 17:46:44
[ On Sunday, June 10, 2001 at 23:07:01 (+0200), Julio Merino wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: ctrl+alt+del
>
> I think it should do a system shutdown, not a kernel reboot. So
> it should be able to call shutdown and halt the system properly.

There are many other more reliable ways of invoking a normal shutdown
without involving inside-out hooks from the stupid console driver!

> As I said, the computer doesn't has a screen, so if there is any
> mistake when writing without seeing it, the users (who don't
> know unix) won't notice it.

If the computer doesn't have a screen then you really really really do
not want it to respond in any adverse or potentially damaging way to any
errant keystrokes on the console keyboard!

If you need to shut down the machine safely and cleanly then this is the
place for some form of out-of-band management, not <ctrl+alt+del>!

The only place <ctrl+alt+del> as a hook for a normal shutdown even
begins to make any sense whatsoever is in a personal workstation, but as
I say there are many more reliable ways of doing that.  Even a hook in
the X11 server would make almost infinitely more sense than doing it in
the console (pckbd, wscons, or whatever) driver!

--
							Greg A. Woods