Subject: Re: ctrl+alt+del
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/10/2001 06:30:25
Herb Peyerl writes:

>You shouldn't be letting typical dumbasses near your machines
>unless they have you on the other end of the phone.  Or buy a
>remote management card of some sort.

The world is very far from being in an ideal state.

> > I in fact don't see any reason why there shouldn't be a keyboard
> > shortcut like this to reboot from PC keyboard console, in fact up
>
>How 'bout "because most people now think 'ctrl-alt-del' is how you
>log in."

Now, that's a good argument.
But _those_ kind of people don't yet attend to PeeCee server machines.

>The expected standard on PCish hardware is having to reboot it every
>week.  NetBSD doesn't strive to that either.

Now, that's a well intended but weak argument :).

I think discussing that is futile -- doesn't wscons support user-
definable keyboard scancode maps?  Then the issue would be a non-
issue effectively (if a "reboot" map target would be supplied, of
course.)

--mkb