Subject: RE: NetBSD is not Linux
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/08/2001 09:54:50
> Linux has many distributions yes, what makes that an anarchy exactly ?

Installation programs vary among Linux distributions, and package management
varies: Red Hat .rpm, Slackware .tgz, Debian .deb, others?  Some third-party
software in binary form works on only one or several distributions but not all.
Installation programs vary from down-to-earth text to Windows-like.  Some
installation programs don't support 486 CPU even though the underlying Linux
could run on 486.  But FreeBSD looks like FreeBSD, NetBSD looks like NetBSD, and
I presume OpenBSD looks like OpenBSD.

> I haven't used linux all that long but kde and gnome looked pretty much the
> same on linux as they do on NetBSD. I might have missed something.

A particular software looks pretty much the same on all platforms where it runs.
Emacs or Lynx will also look pretty much the same across platforms.  32-bit DOS
port of Lynx should look pretty much the same as Unix versions, though there
would be differences as to stability, support for long file names, etc.