Subject: Re: installing patches
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/08/2001 14:05:40
On 08.06.01, 13:42:35, Julio Merino wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 10:39:01AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> >
> > Actually you could use a 1.5.1_Beta2 snapshot, for example from
> >
> >   ftp.netbsd.org://pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshot/20010516-1.5.1_BETA2
> >
> > This is from May 15.
> >
> > Unfortunately that advisory did not contain instructions how to update,
> > which most advisories have.
>
> I still have to rebuild my system (I haven't done it before in NetBSD).
> But rebuilding is the best way to get the latest code and optimize it for
> your computer ;)

If you use a snapshot, you do not have to rebuild your system. Here
snapshot refers to "binary snapshot". Just unpack the new binary sets
(or just the affected binaries.), and you're set. Maybe reboot to be
sure all new libraries and daemons are in fact used.

> BTW how much time can it take to build the world with a PII, 233 mhz?
> Does make build install it?

Yes, make build does also install everything (except /etc). It will
take several hours, maybe 4 or 5. If you have enough RAM, setting
NBUILDJOBS to something bigger than 1 (in /etc/mk.conf) might improve
speed a bit, even on single-CPU-systems.

It takes about 3.5 hours on my Celeron/366 system (256 MB, UW-SCSI
disks) with NBUILDJOBS=4.

Usually you should also build and install a new kernel (and reboot)
_before_ rebuilding userland.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Networking Space