Subject: stupid named question
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/07/2001 17:34:50
Hello,

Sorry for the waste of bits, but I have a question about configuring
named in a special case: There's a domain which uses 10.0.0.0 addresses
for almost all machines (and a firewall which does NAT).  We want to set
up a "local" name server 'X' with the 10* addresses and another name
server 'Y' with the public (real) IP addresses.  All queries from Internet
are directed to the server 'Y' and real IP  addressses are returned.  All
queries from intranet go to server 'X' and 10* addresses are returned.
This all works, but:

Some machine only have the public IP address.  Is it possible to tell
the local server 'X' to forward queries to 'Y' if the local database
doesn't contain the name in the query?  By default, a master server of a
domain does not query any other servers (which is natural), but now we
would like to change that behaviour.  Is this possible?

(We could duplicate the information necessary in both databases, but
this would most likely cause problems with keeping both copies of the
files in sync..)

Thanks a bunch,

  -jm