Subject: Re: What are the Major issues porting userland code from BSDI to NetBSD?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Parson <mparson@bl.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/06/2001 10:08:21
In message <200106061438.HAA10590@dakkon.darykon.cet.com>, you write:
> Looking at switching from a BSDI-Intel based system to either a NetBSD-386 or
> NetBSD-MIPS system.

A few years ago, when I was working in a primarily BSDI shop, one
of the other admins decided he was going to play with NetBSD.
IIRC, he just installed NetBSD over his BSDI installation, leaving
all of his BSDI /usr/local intact.  When he brought the system back
up, he restored his /etc/master.passwd, rebuilt the pwd.db, and
was logged in as himself with the BSDI compiled /usr/local/bin/tcsh.

This was going from BSDI 2.0.mumble to NetBSD 1.0, maybe 1.1.

> Can anyone give me any insight as to what might be invloved in such an
> endevor?

This was a few years ago, and I wasn't really involved, he was just
sharing officespace with me and whooping when it all worked.  I don't
have any details beyond that. =)

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org