Subject: Re: tcp_wrappers is now open source! (was Re: Strange or unclear open source licenses in NetBSD tree)
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: None <netbsd-users@elbrecht.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/05/2001 10:44:13
hi all,

"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> writes:

> On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
> > Compare Darren's IP Filter license with /usr/src/lib/libwrap/DISCLAIMER.
> >
> > Interview with Wietse Venema about his tcp_wrappers license
> > http://www.bsdtoday.com/2001/June/Features496.html
>
> Yeehaaa! Wietse changed his tcp_wrapper license (which was formerly like
> IP Filter's license).
>
>     ftp://ftp.porcupine.org/pub/security/tcp_wrappers_license
>
> It's also referenced from his index.html webpage.

According to a post Theo de Raadt did to misc@openbsd.org recently, the
OpenBSD group is about to work out the license problem successfully.

It has been mentioned here that there is more than just IPFilter with
unclear licenses. Esp. SUN seems to have heard Theo's whining (he marked
the problem solved). Maybe this work could be picked up by NetBSD before
doubling efforts.

I don't like to bring up a dead thread again, but I would be more than
happy if NetBSD stayed the free system it was. That includes the
use-for-ANY-purpose statement which itself includes the
even-pick-up-things-for-OpenBSD reading of the statement in particular
for modified or unmodified parts.

Still the (imho) most attractive use is blocked in this case for
IPFilter: redistribution of modified parts.

Or maybe I just misunderstood the license? Could someone enlighten me
about that or make the authors use clear license statements?

There is a site which approves all sorts of open source licenses, as to
my understanding all sorts of software compatible to the goals of NetBSD
are covered by at least one example license listed there. So would it be
asked to much to mark every part of the system to be covered by an
approved license or not and to stick with it (as far as to not
distribute incompatible parts with the base system)?

And again: what license on http://www.opensource.org/licenses/index.html
is IPFilter next to and what is the difference exactly.

Flame me if You feel like it about _this_ topic, but better off show me
the legal side of NetBSD use and the limits of it.

Norbert
--
Today is the first day of the rest of your life.