Subject: Re: NetBSD is not Linux
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/02/2001 22:29:25
On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 04:06:40PM +0200, wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net wrote:

> > Red Hat) seeming to go out of their way to out-Windows MS-Windows with their
> > GUI.
>
> exactly. good there are people who see that.
>
> new kernels developing (2.4.*) are much sponsored by redhat.

The kernel is directed by people like Linus and the (effectively) core
team, not Red Hat.

The push for the direction of the Linux kernel comes from a great many
directions. It's driven by what people want to do with it. The main
thing I've seen Red Hat and other similar entities doing is talking
about the changes it needs for greater reliability and features in
enterprise computing.

That's not really a bad thing.

Most of the bloat is coming from oddball PC hardware, and the desire for
desktop features.

Once you get something like Gnome sitting on top, the OS disappears in
the noise anyway.  Now _that_ is a pig...

> effects - easy to see (kernel bloat and bugs)

root@escape:/usr/src
2 % du -sck sys
110405  sys
110405  total

root@escape:/usr/src
3 % ls -l /netbsd
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2620490 May 25 16:22 /netbsd

NetBSD isn't exactly lightweight itself.

No comment on the bugs... :)

I actually feel pretty good about Linux and *BSD, given what I have
heard about the size of Windows NT.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist