Subject: Re: Strange or unclear open source licenses in NetBSD tree
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/31/2001 02:36:51
On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 11:51:05AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> /usr/src/lib/libc/rpc/DISCLAIMER
> Users may copy or modify Sun RPC without charge, but are not authorized to
> license or distribute it to anyone else except as part of a product or
> program developed by the user.

The Sun RPC code has been in NetBSD (and FreeBSD and OpenBSD and I
believe in various Linux distributions) for quite a while now.
Nobody has ever seen this clause as a problem, and I do not think
it is. We are distributing it as part of a product; NetBSD.

> /usr/src/usr.bin/vi/LICENSE
> It may be freely redistributed under the following conditions, until one
> year after the release of any subsequent version of this software, at
> which point it may no longer be redistributed without written permission
> from Keith Bostic.

This was an older version of nvi, for which we had permission from
Keith Bostic to distribute it. It has recently been upgraded with
a newer version, which does not have those lines in the license
anymore.

> /usr/src/dist/bind/LICENSE_RSA
> The DNSsafe software cannot be used or distributed separately from the
> BIND software.  You only have the right to use it or distribute it as a
> bundled, integrated product.

The DNSsafe code was removed recently, it was of limited use too.

> /usr/src/dist/ipf/perl/LICENSE
> Permission has been granted for their redistribution within this package.
>
> (What about other redistribution?)

Well, those files are redistributed with ipf, so we're not violating
anything there. Yes, it is more restrictive than the BSD license.

> I also found one other substantial code with a license similar to Darren
> Reed's "use" license. I already contacted the author and I am waiting for
> his company's PR department to respond. (I am writing an article about
> that includes that.)

Well, if you think there is a problem, we'd appreciate a note sent
to us about it of course.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com