Subject: Re: SCSI disk and controllers
To: None <wojtek@3miasto.net>
From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/28/2001 14:38:32
On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 05:24:19PM +0200, wojtek@3miasto.net wrote:

> > have, I really do want to keep.
> >
> > I have some large databases, lot's of my CDs encoded (it just takes
> > time I rather not eat again), source code, text files, and images I've
> why don't you record these encoded CD (mp3 i assume) to CD-R?

As I said later on, I do.  It's too many CDs though.

> > collected over the years.
> record all old (not changing) stuff to CD-R

I do... but it's still too much to do regular backups.

Also, it's not uncommon for things to get rearranged. Unfortunately that
means the next incremental picks that up as a change.

It's more common to move sound files around, as you get obvious
categories worked out.

sources get move around in /usr/local (/usr/local/src only has stuff
actually installed for use) but it's much smaller than the other
stuff.

> > I was hoping the Onstream stuff would be nice, but it doesn't look that
> > way.
> they have expensive tapes. with cheaper tapes it looks very nice.

Not in terms of SCSI and reliability. I have heard almost nothing about
them in terms of reliablity, and they seem to have dropped their SCSI
offering.  Just IDE and firewire now it seems.

The drives do not respond to standard SCSI tape commands, and for Linux
they had to create a special driver.

--
"Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny." -- Unknown