Subject: Re: usepeerdns
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/26/2001 23:11:37
Quoting Steve Woodford (25-May-01 14:31:51):

> On 25 May 2001, Georges Heinesch wrote:

>> I'm presently doing some experimenting with ip-up.
>>
>> ----- /etc/ppp/ip-up -----
>> #!/bin/sh
>> echo "testing ..."
>> ----- cut here -----
>>
>> When dialing in using "pppd call ISP", the text "testing ..." is
>> not given out (x bit is set). Why?

> man pppd, then search for SCRIPTS:

>        Pppd  runs  the  scripts  with  standard input, output and
>        error redirected to /dev/null,  and  with  an  environment
>        that  is  empty except for some environment variables that
>        give information about the link.

I missed that one. Thanks.

However the scripts (/etc/ppp/ip-up and ip-down) are still not
executed. I inserted a copy command and several other commands (not
linked to stdin or stdout). Nothing was executed.

----- /etc/ppp/ip-up
#~/bin/sh
/usr/X11R6/bin/xlupe
cp ~/grap.jpg ~/test.jpg
-----

This was simply for testing purpose. Neither xlupoe was started, nor
was the file ~/grap.jpg copied. Filebits are 755, the useris root.

Why do the scripts not run when pppd is started/stopped?

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    geohei@geohei.lu

... better do a good thing today, than a perfect thing tomorrow ...