Subject: Re: SCSI disk and controllers
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/22/2001 22:05:21
Hi,

On 22 May 2001, at 7:27, Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:
> According to my resident magnetics expert, folks have always known how
> to make magnetically hard layers.  The missing piece has been making a
> head that can write on it.  (Current heads would saturate.)

from what I can remember reading in the past there is a
"paramagnetic" effect, when the magnetic data "spots" get too
small the magnetic field of adjectend "spots" will influence each
others signal. I do not know if it is like with magnetic tape where
when wound up the magnetic fields of the sorrounding layers will
effectively change the magnetic information or if the information
stays and the fields cannot be interpreted corrctly by the heads.

However I really do not care about capacity, what I want is speed!
A 4GB drive is enough for me, I want 4 times the speed of a current
drive. I remember reading about seagate or quantum to experiment
with some liquids in the drives instead of air to make the positioning
of the heads faster (and to get the heads closer to the surface to
get higher densities) but I cannot remember the announcement of
an actual product or even some results.

mike