Subject: Re: SCSI disk and controllers
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/22/2001 07:27:17
woods@weird.com (Greg A. Woods) writes:
> 	http://news.excite.com/news/ap/010521/00/ibm-storage-breakthrough

   In the past decade, the data density for magnetic hard drives has
   doubled every 18 months. Since 1997, it's been doubling every
   year. Until the "pixie dust" coating breakthrough, scientists said
   they faced a design barrier they thought would halt progress.

According to my resident magnetics expert, folks have always known how
to make magnetically hard layers.  The missing piece has been making a
head that can write on it.  (Current heads would saturate.)

If IBM also "discovered" how to make a head to go with this, I wonder
why there isn't a press release about that.  That would be newsworthy.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/